What Is Ego – Learn what the ego is and how it influences the quality of your life. Master your ego, master your life.
The Ultimate Life Purpose Course – Create Your Dream Career:
Leo’s Top 140 Self Help Books
Full Video Transcript Here:
Hey, this is Leo for Actualized.org. In this video, we’re going to talk about what is ego.
Let’s talk a little bit about what ego is. I’m sure you’ve heard about it. I’m sure you’ve heard people talking about the problems that the ego can cause for you. You’ve probably heard about ego death. You’ve probably heard about both positive and negative sides of ego.
Let’s talk about ego and, specifically, about who how you can understand this concept and relate it to success and personal development. It’s how to get more success in your life by understanding ego.
What is ego? Ego is basically that aspect of yourself that you consider to be “you.” When I say your name and you think, “Yeah, that’s me,” that is ego. Ego is your self-image of who you are.
Ego is a complex construct in your mind. It’s sitting both at the conscious and the deep subconscious level.
Ego is that “I” that you think you are. It’s the thoughts and emotions that you are identified with. It’s the beliefs that you think are rock solid and completely true. It’s what you think reality is like.
That whole construct is a big and deep iceberg. It’s like gigantic iceberg and only the tip of it, like 10 percent, is sticking out of the water. The other 90 percent is all submerged and you don’t know what it is. It’s just operating. It’s just working.
The ego is you. The ego has a couple of features.
The fundamental thing that the ego does is separates itself from everything else that’s out in the world. If you’re coming from the ego — and this applies to 99.999% percent of people, including myself — you say, “This is me,” and you look at everything else as not you.
That desk is not you. That other person is not you. That other country is not you.
You are distinct. You are just your mind and your body. You’re the skin that you have and everything beyond your skin is something else. You have that clear separation.
This is something that you get as a biological entity, as an organism who that needs to survive and depends on survival and reproduction.
We, as a species, and every living organism, has a sense of this. It’s the sense of “I”-ness. It’s the sense of “This is me.” This is what’s important and the other stuff is not so important.